A Cambridge City Council website

Cambridge City Council

Council and democracy

Home > Council and Democracy > Agenda and minutes

Agenda and minutes

Venue: via Microsoft Teams

Contact: Democratic Services  Committee Manager

Note: For members of the public who want to watch the meeting online, please follow the link contained under the ‘Media’ tab to watch the meeting on YouTube. Members of the public who would like to actively participate at Area Committees, will be able to do so virtually via Microsoft Teams. Please contact Democratic.Services@cambridge.gov.uk in advance so that you can be sent the meeting details. 


No. Item


Welcome, Introduction and Apologies for Absence


Apologies were received from Councillors Divkovic, Swift, Thittala Varkey and County Councillor Meschini. 


Declarations Of Interest





Gawthrope Wood


Member of Parkinsons UK and made a small donation to the charity.



Notes of previous meeting pdf icon PDF 336 KB


The notes of the meeting held on the 27 February 2023 were noted.

Under paragraph 4.2.1 of the Council Procedure Rules, the Chair used their discretion to alter the order of the agenda items. However, for ease of the reader, these minutes will follow the order of the published agenda


Policing and Safer Neighbourhoods NAC pdf icon PDF 755 KB


The Committee received a report regarding policing and safer neighbourhoods trends.


The report outlined actions taken since the last reporting period. The current emerging issues/neighbourhood trends for each ward were also highlighted (see report for full details). Previous local areas of concern and engagement activity noted in the report were:

i.               Street based drug dealing, including cuckooing.

ii.             ASB and dangerous driving across the north of the city and NO2 canisters.

iii.            Cycle crime.

iv.           Youth and knife crime.


A representative from the Garden Walk Resident’s Association made the following comments:

        i.              Expressed concern about children being exposed to drug dealing on the way to school and the impact on children of the constant exposure to this.

      ii.               Expressed interest in the speeding data gathered for Gilbert Road. 

    iii.               Would report drug dealing incidents online.

    iv.              Expressed concern about cars speeding on Victoria Avenue which had arisen as a consequence of the works being undertaken on Milton Road.


Councillor Todd-Jones encouraged members of the public to report incidences of drug dealing to the Police to help build up a picture of the issue which would assist the Police in allocating resources to tackle it.


Sergeant Jeffrey advised that no-one was reported for speeding in the Gilbert Road area when they undertook speeding checks but noted that this could have been because of their high visibility, which was a legal requirement. 


Members welcomed and supported the work of the Police and Anti-Social Behaviour Team. Members expressed concerns regarding:

i.               Drug dealing in the Bramblefields area, Alexandra Gardens, Jubilee Gardens and Pointers Lodge (Chesterton Road).

ii.             Cycle theft at Cambridge North train station.

iii.            Impact of drug dealing on children using parks.

iv.           Speeding at Perse Way, Carlton Way and Roseford Road and queried what enforcement measures could be undertaken for the ‘resident access’ at Garden Walk.

v.             Knife crime (noted stabbing incident in Nuns Way).

vi.           Speeding and noisy bikes. 


Action: Sergeant Jeffrey to investigate what (if any) enforcement action could be undertaken regarding the vehicles which were driving (‘rat-running’) on Garden Walk where ‘resident access/restrictions’ applied.   


Inspector McNeill advised that there was an unauthorised encampment at Arbury Town Park and the City Council had asked the Police to consider their powers under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act. The Inspector had given direction for those encamped to leave the land. The situation would be monitored.


Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) Update on the Milton Road project


The Committee received an update on the Milton Road project from the Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) Senior Delivery Project Manager. Further information could be found via: Milton Road (greatercambridge.org.uk)


A representative from the Garden Walk Resident’s Association made the following comment:

1.    Asked if any budget had been set aside to undertake remedial works to repair roads (for example Victoria Road) which had been impacted / damaged as a result of diversions arising from the Milton Road project.


The GCP Senior Delivery Project Manager advised that the length of Milton Road would be resurfaced once all other works had been completed but unfortunately repairs to other roads did not fall within the remit of the Milton Road project. Repairs to other roads would need to be reported to the County Council.  


In response to comments made by the Committee, the GCP Senior Delivery Project Manager said the following:

i.               Had regular meetings with the Highways Street Works Team as they had to apply for permits for the work being undertaken. GCP communication methods included messages on their website, letter drops to residents and monthly newsletters. Understood the works were disruptive to residents and members of the public. 

ii.             Noted concerns raised regarding the impact on road users exiting from Green End Road onto Milton Road particularly during peak travel times. The temporary traffic lights which had been installed were sophisticated ones. The sequencing had been reviewed to try and reduce the impact on road users however a primary concern was to reduce congestion building up towards the A14. Would ask the contractors to review the traffic light sequencing again. Works in the area were expected to be on-going until spring 2024.

iii.            Highworth Avenue was expected to be closed from the end of July 2023. The GCP would start communications with residents about this next stage of works from the beginning of July. Noted concerns about how bright the lighting was and advised that the lights still needed to be dimmed. Shields for the lights could also be fitted.

iv.           The Milton Road works were slightly behind schedule because of unexpected issues arising to do with utilities.

v.             Confirmed that the section of new cycle path which was open was safe for people to use.

vi.           Confirmed that a variety of trees were proposed to be planted along Milton Road.

vii.          Confirmed that the pavements on Milton Road would mostly be segregated but some areas were shared use for example an area around Highworth Avenue (southbound).

viii.        Advised that the spoil heap at Woodhead Drive was likely to remain for the duration of the works because of spoil arising throughout the project.


Open Forum


Representatives from the Cambridge Branch of Parkinson’s UK and the Red Hen Project were invited to North Area Committee to talk about their groups.


A representative from the Cambridge Branch of Parkinson’s UK said the following:

i.               Cambridge Branch | Parkinson's local support finder (parkinsons.org.uk)

ii.             Had personal experience of caring for a family member with Parkinson’s. Had volunteered at Cambridge Manor during the Covid pandemic.

iii.            Parkinson’s affected approximately 150,000 people in the UK and over 12 million worldwide. People associated tremors as the main symptom of Parkinson’s but each person with Parkinson’s could have a number of symptoms.

iv.           Not many people knew where to turn for help following a diagnosis of Parkinson’s. Parkinson’s UK had 45,000-50,000 members. 

v.             The Cambridge Branch had about 400 members. During the Covid pandemic regular ‘cuppa and cake’ zoom meetings were held every two weeks to keep people in touch. There were no fees to join the branch; funds were raised by events and donations.

vi.           Regular ‘cafes’ were held on the first Tuesday of the month at Arlington and the third Thursday of the month at Cambridge Manor. The cafes at Cambridge Manor were well supported.

vii.          Venues for yoga sessions were being explored within the north of the city as they were already successfully being run in the south of the city.


A representative from the Red Hen project said the following:

i.               The Red Hen Project: Helping children to achieve at home and at school in Cambridge.

ii.             They worked with families within the CB4 area to support happy, healthy children. They provided 1-2-1 support at home, in school and in the community and also undertook outreach work to complement this.

iii.            Their work led to improved life chances for children and reduced reliance on statutory services.

iv.           Had completed a ‘Theory of Change’ document which was a one side of A4 document which set out why the Red Hen project was needed, what they did to meet those needs, what their values are, short-term and long-term outcomes and their overall goal.

v.             They focussed on the individual needs of each family who had at least one child aged 3-11 years old. Their work could last 6-12 months but they could also provide long term support.

vi.           They had a new referral partner Hundred Houses who they were pleased to be working with.

vii.          The Red Hen project was based out of the Allia Future Business Centre (in the CB4 area) as it was important for families that the organisation was not based in a school as this ensured they were an independent/accessible place to visit. 

viii.        Encouraged people to read their Strategic Plan, look at the ‘Theory of Change’ document, spread the word about the Red Hen project, connect the organisation to other supporters, donate and volunteer.


1.         A representative from the Garden Walk Resident’s Association raised concerns about the poor conditions of roads. Noted the primary way for children to get to school in Cambridge was by walking, cycling, or scooting and due to the road conditions, this was hazardous. Noted problems at Garden Walk, Victoria Road, and Carlisle Road. The pavements had steep slopes, damaged curbs, were too narrow, had uneven surfaces and vegetation prevented accessible use of the pavements. 


Action: Councillor Bird to ask Highways Officers to meet with the member of the public and see if anything could be done. Councillor Carling and Councillor Rae agreed to meet with the member of the public to look at overgrown vegetation. 


2. Wanted to highlight the Histon Road Area Residents Association (HRARA) book fund for grants was still open. Applications could be made to contact@histonroadmemories.uk.


3. Noted the recent report of properties needing to be demolished in Darwin Green. Highlighted that Arbury ward residents along the Brierley Walk area had raised concerns about noise during regular working hours and out of hours. Queried if the sub-station was open.


Action: Councillor Todd-Jones to liaise with Barratt Homes to check what they were doing about liaising with residents.


Post meeting note: The meeting ran out of time to consider the following question regarding minute reference 23/8/NAC  iii   -  Issue with the Milton P&R not attracting users of A10.


Asked if the Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) was planning any upgrades of the crossroad from Impington towards the A10 that would attract the drivers from Oakington, Histon and Impington to drive to the Milton Park & Ride instead of using the B1049 in Cambridge?


A representative from the GCP provided the following response:

There were no plans to upgrade the crossroads from Impington towards the A10 as part of any GCP project. The junction was upgraded by Cambridgeshire County Council several years ago and functioned well.  Residents of Histon and Impington, and Oakington also have good access to the guided bus and other bus services.