A Cambridge City Council website

Cambridge City Council

Council and democracy

Home > Council and Democracy > Agenda and minutes

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 2, The Guildhall, Market Square, Cambridge, CB2 3QJ. View directions

Contact: Clare Rankin  Cycling and Walking Officer

Items
No. Item

16/9/MCPSG

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

Apologies – Roxanne de Beau, Cllr Anna Smith and Mike Davies.

KB confirmed there was still a need to confirm Member representation of the Group for this municipal year, e.g. whether Cllr Tim Moore was still to attend.

16/10/MCPSG

Minutes of Last Meeting and Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 223 KB

Minutes:

·  Palmers Walk pathway. JK highlighted a number of points made in the minutes that needed clarification or correction and according to JK, although the Group’s remit is to promote safe cycling, this should not be at the expense of areas of important community use such as Palmers Walk. 

 

ACTION: Corrections to the June minutes to include changes on page 1 ‘this proposal had originally been raised …by a representative of the Petersfield Mansions Residents Association’ to ‘by a resident of Petersfield Mansions’. ‘The path is currently regarded by many users…’ to be changed to ‘some users’.

 

Regarding the legal status of Palmer’s Walk, CR stated that it was viewed as a footpath, but that as landowner, the City Council did allow cycling.  Following the meeting, the following key points were circulated by CR for clarification:

o  Unless the landowner permits it, cycling on a footpath in England and Wales normally constitutes trespass, making it a civil but not a criminal matter. A local by-law or Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) covering a particular footpath, however, can make it an offence.

o  Although there is no legal right to cycle on footpaths, some are regularly used by cyclists. If enough cyclists use a footpath in this way without the landowner challenging them for (usually) 20 years, then a restricted byway may be claimed through ‘presumed rights’ under s31 of the 1980 Highways Act.

o  A 'No Cycling' sign (red circle, white background, black cycle) AND a TRO or byelaw would make cycling on a footpath an offence. All 'No Cycling', 'No Motorcycling', 'Cyclists Dismount' signs have no legal status – they are advisory.

In terms of action taken since the June Steering Group, AF confirmed there had been a site visit 29th July which included a number of stakeholders including representatives of Bradmore Court and ARU.  Various issues were discussed including whether to keep the width of the footpath as existing. AF has kept in touch with all stakeholders throughout the process. Should the Group support the need to re-consult, the current options (circulated) are as follows:

1. To widen the path to 1.8 metres (a 0.6m increase).

2. To widen the path to 2.2 metres (a 1m increase on the current width as proposed in 2015)

3. To maintain the path at the existing width of 1.2 metres.

 

It is proposed the consultation would run from 7-31st October and clarity is currently being sought on whether to include an on-line survey.

 

No decisions were made on the day of the site visit as segregation was also discussed. According to AF, this option would however need a total width of 3.7 metres which officers consider to be unfeasible and impractical, including Access Officer Mark Taylor.

 

Members agreed to proceed with the re-consultation in line with the recommendation made by the Independent Complaints Investigator. AF will continue in his role to carry forward the project.

 

ACTION: The Palmers Walk re-consultation to be taken to East Area Committee for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 16/10/MCPSG

16/11/MCPSG

Promotion Grant Funding (MD) pdf icon PDF 221 KB

·  Cycle parking audit

·  Camcycle

·  City Cycle maps

Additional documents:

Minutes:

·  Camcycle had not used the £1000 grant awarded at the last meeting for the Cycle Hack as they had managed to get funding in kind for the entire event.

·  City Centre Map – As changes to cycle routes are anticipated, £350 is being sought for a smaller print run than in the past (i.e. 10,000 copies)

·  Cycle maintenance leaflet (‘Freshers’ Materials’). To include information on the legal requirements and basic maintenance tips. This is seen as a separate application (£650) as the colleges have been strongly in favour.

·  Reach Ride 2017. To continue last year’s success. A total of £1,000 is being sought for promotion and some temporary wayfinding signage that would be re-used. This has received grant funding in the past.

 

VERDICT - The Steering Group approved all three grant applications.

 

Other promotion grant applications (CR)

·  Cycle parking Audit. This relates to provision at community halls etc. Community  Services have already carried out work on civic buildings but further work is needed on the amount and nature of existing provision (over 90 sites) along with identifying where improvements could be made. A promotion grant was proposed for undertaking this work whilst City Deal funds could be made available for the capital cost of installing the new racks.

·  KB stressed the need to ensure public buildings are fully equipped if we expect the public to use them. Although it would have no powers to enforce, the Council could refuse to use certain buildings as polling stations until improvements are made. CR had a quote from ParkthatBike for the audit and MD asked that the brief be sent to Camcycle who may also want to quote for the work.

 

ACTION: CR to send audit brief to Camcycle

 

GRANT APPROVED.

 

·  City cycle maps. In the past the print runs have been funded by either the City or  County Council. There is no longer a  revenue budget available to fund this although in the longer term, funding may be available through City Deal or the Access Fund (similar to the LSTF fund)  but in the meantime, up to £2000 would be needed to bridge the gap in the current supply.

 

GRANT APPROVED based on the allocation made by the end of October 2016 with a ceiling figure of £2000. Changes to the cycle network are anticipated through City Deal but these would be in the longer term.

16/12/MCPSG

City Schemes update (Draft Prioritised Scheme list circulated) (CR/JR)

Minutes:

The group looked at the draft list of schemes which were smaller projects not included within City Deal or other funding pots. With regards to previous schemes:

·  Perne Road roundabout. This is now regarded as a success. Traffic speeds are slower but traffic flow is more efficient with school children no longer in conflict with cyclists.

·  Green Dragon Bridge. Works are progressing and should be completed next week. The date is uncertain on the delivery of the double yellow lines but the TRO is in place. Officers are also looking at ways to improve the Stourbridge Common access from Riverside.

·  Off-street cycle parking provision. Plans to enlarge the provision at Grand Arcade have not progressed, with security concerns raised in relation to the Magistrates’ Court. Meanwhile, temporary sites are being examined in light of the Park Street Car Park redevelopment. Regarding improvements to provision at Queen Anne Terrace, a draft layout and discussions with CCTV operatives have taken place.

 

According to MD, there was scope for improvements to the Maids Causeway roundabout although according to CR, the budget needed to redesign it would be too large for this Group. Crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists could be improved with the funding available however. There was also some discussion about the need for cycle lanes on Chesterton Road.

16/13/MCPSG

County Schemes Updates (CR)

Minutes:

·  Chisholm Trail Phase 1 – due to go to a Development Control Forum 26th October then to Joint Development Control Committee 16th November.

·  Abbey Chesterton Bridge – the County Council’s Planning Committee, 3rd November.

·  Cross City Cycle Routes – to be delivered Summer/Autumn 2017/ Spring 2018.

·  Greenways Project  a consultant has been appointed and this work will feed into City Deal schemes such as the A428 and A1307 corridors. Other Greenways may be funded through Tranche 2.

·   Harston and Babraham cycle paths to commence soon.

·  Trumpington Road (Phase 1) – to commence in January 2017.

·  Huntingdon Road (Phase 1) – the final option has been selected which is for the cycle lane to be next to the carriageway.

·  Cycling on one-way streets. Residents were consulted on 17 streets with the results going before the Joint Area Committee. Some safety concerns have been highlighted but this will be for discussion at Committee. NOTE: the report will now be going to the CJAC in January.

16/14/MCPSG

Any Other Business

Minutes:

·  Cycle parking in the Station Area. Brookgate have produced a poster to help promote greater use of the cycle park and reduce fly parking.

 

Date of next meeting – 9th February